What does sleep do for you? It helps in many amazing ways, such as it
- Helps your brain sort and process your day. This ability helps create long-term memory and sorts information for when you need it later. Sleep helps your brain learn and remember.
- Releases growth hormones which help you grow and help repair your body.
- Contributes to healthy brain functioning and emotional wellbeing.
- Allows your nervous system to relax.
- Decreases the stress hormone called cortisol.
- Strengthens your immune system by releasing a protein called cytokine. Cytokine help fight inflammation, infection and trauma to the body.
What are the repercussions of not sleeping?
- Your brain has trouble focusing and remembering.
- Your body has trouble healing, which can lead to increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke.
- Sleep deprivation increases your chances of weight gain and even obesity.
- Your immune system may become compromised and have trouble fighting infection.